Vintage MX Swapmeet Logo MESSAGE BOARD
General Discussion of Vintage MX

FAQ | SearchRegister | Log inBack to Swapmeet 

FOX FACTORY FORX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swapmeet Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsupersport

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: FOX FACTORY FORX Reply with quote

I just bought a pair of FOX FACTORY FORX at an auto swap meet! The seller had no idea what they had Smile Who has info on rebuilding these or how many were made? They were supposedly on a YZ 465 but, all the ones I`ve seen have been on Hondas. How would I change application?

Thanx, JOHN
capt264

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this link works, if not google search Thor Larson

ltthor.home.comcast.net/~ltthor/forsale.html
kennethtyson1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really just depends on what parts came with the forks. Did you get triple clamps, steering stem, an axle or a brake stay arm?
motormanmech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of those on my '79 CR250 back in the early '80's. I rebuilt them several times and they were no big deal to do. They are just a big, burly set of conventional forks. I used ATF for fork fluid and I used to get the fork seals from a local industrial seal and bearing house. As mentioned earlier, it all depends on what you got besides the forks themselves and what bike you want to put them on. Over the years I have swapped several front ends from one bike to another. It just requires accurate measurements and a compitent machine shop.
rdnutz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 2 sizes of FOX FORX- I think 38mm & 43/45 MM. 1980 YZ465 had 38mm forks while 1981 YZ465 had 43mm forks stock. If your Fox forks fit you can use your old clamps. You may have to change steering stems to use Fox clamps on a specific bike. I had a 1981 YZ250 with Fox Forx using stock Yamaha clamps (as far as I could tell) on it and found seals at a bearing house like others did. The you just have to figure out oil level that works for you.
kennethtyson1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info there in motorman's reply, especially the last sentence.
I will be glad to offer any advice that I can about the machining aspect of it, but only if you so desire. I have done several projects like this.
Thor Lawson also has all the parts if you desire some one stop shopping.
Good luck and most of all, have fun with it.
mstusiak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, have you ever done any triple or triple repairs for these? For the Hondas at least, the aluminum forks stops on the lower clamp are soft and deform, allowing the forks to hit the tank.

FTE
mrsupersport

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

What I got is this. 44mm forx w/ triples, have lug on left lower to index into a backing plate. Unsure of application ( just what I was told ) The top triple is a lil beat up from the jackass hammer treatment! &^%$ ! But, overall pretty decent. I am curious about changing applications. I have a few bikes I'm considering these for or will resell.
brents

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they were of a YAMAHA it will be a job to fit them to another bike as the YAM'S have a very fat lower stem and bearing.You may need to have the stem pressed out and a bush made up to accomidate a narrower Honda or Suzi stem and bearing.The brake lugs are fairly similar.
kennethtyson1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstusiak wrote:
Ken, have you ever done any triple or triple repairs for these? For the Hondas at least, the aluminum forks stops on the lower clamp are soft and deform, allowing the forks to hit the tank.

FTE

Sorry for the slow reply, I was out of town.
No, I have not dealt with any Fox clamps, just Simons and custom builds.
Are the entire stops "bending" or just the contact area is deforming from the frame pad impacts?
Feel free to send me some pics ( believe that you have my email) and maybe I can help you.
BTW Michael, nice Tony D. fender that you hooked Joe up with!!!
kennethtyson1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

mrsupersport wrote:
What I got is this. 44mm forx w/ triples, have lug on left lower to index into a backing plate. Unsure of application ( just what I was told ) The top triple is a lil beat up from the jackass hammer treatment! &^%$ ! But, overall pretty decent. I am curious about changing applications. I have a few bikes I'm considering these for or will resell.

Let me start by saying that I have not dealt with adapting any of the Fox Forx but no matter what the brand, it is pretty much the same scenarion. You need the wheel centered and you need robust and proper engagement of the backing plete. You DO NOT want one of these to to dislodge and spin when you apply the brakes. To show my ignorance on the Foxs', did some of them come with lugs and some with the stay arm?
If you have a backing plate lug I would recommend that you just initially start with a trial and error method with front wheels and see what comes close. By close, I mean what is going to be the least machining involved to adapt it to a backing plate or the backing plate to it. The "stay arm" type, as on the Simons, are much more versatile but even they will often require a trip to the machine shop and it can be tricky to get certain conical style hubs to fit between the sliders. Usually when you see a set Simons go for huge money, it is due to the fact that they include the stay arm, axle and stem for a specific bike. The forks and trees are just the start of the project.
You are going to at least have to come up with an axle, so there really is no reason that you could not use any OEM wheel/brake assembly that would fit the lug configuration. You could then have the stem manufactured or an OEM stem modified to fit the trees and any brand of frame. In other word, you could use, say, a Yamaha wheel on a Honda bike. It is possible to fit these to any bike but it just will take more machine work to make them fit some brands more than others. It sounds that you are totally open to what bike that you put them on, so this is hugely in your favor.
I hope that I have not scared of the project, as it is very doable and could be very fun and maybe even profitable for you but having a lug style fork kind of paints you into a corner, somewhat.
Just out of curiosity, is there a lug anywhere on the slider that could be used as a mount for a stay arm?
KT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swapmeet Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: