Vintage MX Swapmeet Logo MESSAGE BOARD
General Discussion of Vintage MX

FAQ | SearchRegister | Log inBack to Swapmeet 

PDV (Power-Dyne Vehicle)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swapmeet Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Husky65
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: PDV (Power-Dyne Vehicle) Reply with quote

I'm on a fishing expedition here and once again asking for anyone with knowledge of this brand to post a reply and let me know what you know. I've been keeping a log of information about the PDVs for years and I'm always looking to expand that knowledge.

Obscure bikes interest me, because their existence builds on the history of Motocross that we all love so much.

So, if you know anything, let me know. If you live in Lincoln, RI, ask around and see if anyone remembers the brand and what might have become of the original owners. Here's something I found recently about PDVs...

POWER-DYNE VEHICLES TO SELL STOCK.

Power-Dyne Vehicles, Inc., 55 Tower St., Pawtucket, R. I., filed a registration statement (File 2-36077) with the SEC on January 26 seeking registration of 143,000 shares of common stock, to be offered for public sale at $7 per share. The offering is to be made on a "best efforts method through Robert Cea and Company, Inc., 160 Broadway, New York, which will receive a 70c per share se11ing commission plus $25,000 for expenses. The company has agreed to sell the Cea firm, at 1c per warrant, four-year warrant a to purchase 14,300 shares, exercisable after one year at prices ranging from $7.98 to $8.96 per ahare; it has also agreed to pay an aggregate of $10,000 and to issue an aggregate of 5,000 shares to Malvin Lerman and Theodore Meisel in consideration for their services as finders.

The company was organized in January 1969 primarily to manufacture a line of motorized vehicles for out -door or lesure use; it presently manufactures a line of motorized "mini-bikes" and plans to produce a six wheel, all-terrain vehicle and to develop other leisure vehicles. Of the net proceeds of its stock sale, $200,000 will be used to pay current obligations and $200,000 for expansion of production facilities, including purchaae of machinery; the balance will be added to the company's working capital and used for general corporate purposes. The company has outstanding 336,300 common shares (with a 48c per share book value), of which David Berger, president, and Irving Berger. vice president, own 30.5% each and Sol Berg, a director, 9%. Purchaaers of the shares being registered will acquire a 30% stock interest in the company for their investment of $1,101,100 (they will sustain an immediate dilution of $4.96 in per share book value from the offering price); present shareholders will then own 70%. for which they paid $151,025.
dparker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall PDV was sued by Champion Racing frames / Doug Schwerma for their frame design being a bit too close for comfort to Champion.

The engines used in the 250 /360 line were very Yamaha -ish , also.

Wonder if Yamaha pursued any litigation on that ?

That seemed to be about the time you did not see PDV around any longer after those models were released.
aj67ss00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
I picked this PDV up in 2006 out of a storage shed in Omaha. Motor was a DT1F with 19" wheels. Spool on the front for flat tracking.

The guy flat tracked it up in NE, took it apart to rebuild it and never put it back together.

I did some minor research on PDV when I found the bike: Out of Pawtucket, RI, the flat track frames were a copy of a Champion frame. Rumor was that a former Champion employee was involved, and Champion sued them out of business.

[img][/img][img][/img]
rickmath

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the last 2 frames for powerdynes in late 1974 i believe, from Rons cycles in Mendon Ma. who was a dealer,distributor,or maybe owner of powerdyne,not sure.One frame was chrome plated,was their showpiece,one was a painted frame. They had wheels,tanks,seats,shocks,most of what you needed to build a yamaha flattracker for sale. The frames fit different year engines,i believe one fit 1974 mx 250 360 engines,at least i know i put a 360 mx engine in it. Dont know what year other frame fit,didnt fit my engine. They handled well,but really liked to slide sideways,maybe it was the engine,but bike was a handful to ride! I also rode a 360 mx version the rep brought to a dealer i knew,as a demo rider trying to sell franchises. It was real fast,and seemed like a sweet bike,was probably summer 1974.
Husky65
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj67ss00 wrote:
Mark,
I picked this PDV up in 2006 out of a storage shed in Omaha. Motor was a DT1F with 19" wheels. Spool on the front for flat tracking.

The guy flat tracked it up in NE, took it apart to rebuild it and never put it back together.

I did some minor research on PDV when I found the bike: Out of Pawtucket, RI, the flat track frames were a copy of a Champion frame. Rumor was that a former Champion employee was involved, and Champion sued them out of business.

Thanks, do you still have this bike? If so, is there anyway you can take a good closeup photo of that PowerDyne label on the swingarm and anyother decals it might have? The bike I'm getting in does not have that and thus I'm going to need something to go by.

Mark
rickmath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold it many years ago,and lost the few pics i had when cellar got flooded,sorry. Saw one pic the guy i sold it to had on facebook,and was only one he had.I had asked him recently for any others he might have,said he had none either.The shot was blurry and,go figure,sideways as hell!
Husky65
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all the same. Maybe someone will see this and have a bike with the decal.

Mark
cndedric89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Actually went to RI in March of 73 (My 17th Bday) & test rode their 125cc twin, 250 & 360 Gringo's. Raced a 360 Gringo in early 73, out of Bar-Chel's in Springville, NY along with one of their 125cc Hodaka Combat Wombats. When the new Suzuki TM125's came out I left Bar-Chels & raced the Suzuki's.
The engines in the PDV Gringo's were Yamaha clones/ ripoffs. I know who got & rode the 360 after I left Bar-Chel's. He is the owner of Northeast Vintage Cycle Repair & is actually in the same building that used to be Bar-Chel's.
sbysouth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark , l have had all the decals remade for the Gringo's .
Buy them from Motographix in Australia .
His email address is dmurdoch@motorgraph.com.au
His name is Dan Murdoch , cheers Steve Bysouth Very Happy
aj67ss00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
The pictures I have of the PDV dont blow up very well at all.

But I did find the guy I sold it to and sent you a private email with his info.

I think he was a flat track guy and may even still have it.
larry53

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Power-Dyne Vehicle photos Reply with quote

http://www.rucenterprises.com/cgi-bin/Power-Dyne_1972.pdf

http://www.rucenterprises.com/cgi-bin/Power-Dyne_1973.pdf

I currently live a couple of miles from the former PDV Lincoln address, and my wife was a teenager at the time who lived a few hundred yards from their Pawtucket address. The machines were sold locally at Ben's Marine which had locations in Cumberland, RI, and East Providence, RI. I remember seeing the bikes brand new on the showroom floor. Being 15-years old at the time, I didn't have the money to seriously consider buying one.
richsusie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first Bike I ever bought was what I think was a Power Dyne. This would of been around 1972 or so. The Bike was sold from a dealer in the lake city area of Seattle. The Bike was not sold as a Power Dyne, it was sold as a HAWK. However the Hawk name was put on the Gas tank using decals one would buy to put your name on your mailbox, probably by the dealer. Later on I herd that the bike was really a PD. The Bike was a Taiwanese copy of a Kawasaki 100. It was in a 80 size frame with a 125 cc 4 speed Motor. I don't think the Motor side covers had any brand name, but they looked as though they were exchangeable with a Kawi 100 which turned out to be my next bike. It also came with an Expansion Chamber stock, and was fast as he77 just what a 13 year old kid needed to learn to ride. Buy the sounds of it, this bike probably has nothing to do with what You are talking about, and may never of been a PD, but its what I can remember 40 years latter. Other than the wheelies.
pnoneman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Power dyne minibike some years ago at a car show. I needed the engine, a B&S and thought it was a Rupp. A little research told me it was made in RI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Swapmeet Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: